Enter the Blog

This blog was created as part of my studies - MTeach (teacher librarian) -hopefully here you may find some musings on education, libraries, life and studying along with generally witty and insightful comments (if i can manage any!).

Please add comments along the way. I'll be glad for any input, especially from fellow students and library lovers

Kylie




Friday, May 3, 2013

Reflections on ETL503 Assignment 1 and musings on moral purpose

so..... my concept map was not liked. I am shocked - i like it. My writing did very well but my concept map didn't. I think it was said it required more interpretation that it should - perhaps if i had added a few more lines on the outside instead of using words to indicate the connection it would have done better.

It occurs to me that a concept map is a very personal thing as is one's visual understanding. I created a concept map using bubl.us but in the end to me it was visually confusing to have so many connected lines all over the place but I understand things visually when they are clearer and less cluttered.

It was also mentioned by the marker that they had attempted this exercise themself. I wonder if they preferred  those concept maps that resembled theirs? Yes, I know its sour grapes!

It was also suggested that I use Covey's 'moral purpose'. As mentioned some time back I can't stand those books - I think I also struggle with the idea of moral purpose. To me moral is good/bad, right/wrong (perhaps it was the Catholic schools i attended). I'm not sure if I agree that education is a moral question. Yes I know that there are implicit morals that we teach and model all the time, but why does our purpose in a leadership sense have to be a moral purpose? Yes, it is said that the moral purpose will engage people more fully because they believe it is the right thing to do. But just cause you think its the right thing to do doesn't make it so. I'm sure many despots believed they were guided by moral purpose even though their actions were decidedly amoral. Or is it that to lead we need to convince others of our moral purpose, so they 'buy in'? Perhaps I should just read Fullan and find out where and how this came into the education debate.

No comments:

Post a Comment