Enter the Blog

This blog was created as part of my studies - MTeach (teacher librarian) -hopefully here you may find some musings on education, libraries, life and studying along with generally witty and insightful comments (if i can manage any!).

Please add comments along the way. I'll be glad for any input, especially from fellow students and library lovers

Kylie




Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Edition 5 - TLs and achievement

Not sure if i've gained any inspiration yet but definitely a bit of organisation.
My aim this week is to only allow myself reading for enjoyment once I have completed some university work (so far have achieved this 2 out of 3 days).

This morning I have Girl 1 at school and Girl 2 set up with play doh and here I am with at least 10 mins uninterrupted study time!! (well at least interruptions only every 5 mins)

This week I decided I must get some focus.... so I really looked at the assignment and what we need to do for it and put together an outline for the essay. Of course, this then meant I had to go back over the readings with this in mind. Yes I know!! It would have been far more sensible to have studied the assignments and their requirements before beginning reading

On re-reading some of the materials I was really struck with the research that correlates TL qualifications with results (see Haycock, Lonsdale, Hay). It's slightly worrisome, as this suggests that in being under qualified or not qualified, our lack of training can impact on student achievement regardless of how well meaning a TL is.

The other question that keeps playing on my mind is how many TLs are under utilised in their school because of outdated notions of the role of the library in teaching. Is this what those of you working as TLs are experiencing?

Back to the real work now as i'm hoping to get a bit of pleasure reading done in Girl 2's sleep time!!

Haycock, K. (2003) The crisis in Canada's school libraries: The case for reform and re-investment.

Lonsdale, M. (2003). Impact of school libraries on student achievement: A review of the research. Melbourne: Australian Council for Educational Research.


Hay, L. (2005) Student learning through Australian school libraries. synergy 4 (2)

No comments:

Post a Comment